Thursday, January 29, 2009

Waging his tail instead of his mouth…



"A dog is a man's best friend."

Raising a pup is a lot of hard work, but it gives back fulfillment! A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.

I never thought I'd ever be so excited about having a puppy, although, I am a pet-lover ever since.

I can buy more clothes, spend lavishly for my needs…be a philanthropist.. show my concern for other people… but seldom to receive a warm loyalty like what a pet dog can give. He is worthy of such devotion. Dogs don't lie. When strangers come, they growl and bark, they know their loved ones in the dark. As long as your demeanor carries with it the promise of affection (and good food!) he will protect you at all times.

We brought Jefjef, my new puppy, from Manila to our hometown (almost 500 km) before the holiday and I was quite anxious that he might get sick of long travel and feel snotty of his new home in the province. At first I saw his reluctance since he was secluded miles away from his other siblings. When we arrived, he was uneasy and preferred to be in his cage most of the times. All the while I thought he’s sick and enervated coz he didn’t eat well. But when my nieces started to play with him, he started to be brisky and feels that he has a new home. He never sleeps near with anyone except beside me nor can sleep well without me.

He chases me wherever I go.
He feels annoyed when I ignore him.
When no one wants to play with him, Jefjef is having fun with “Donkey”, my cuddly teddy pony (a gift to me by Rachel Alejandro’s mother “Myrna” 15 years ago) .

I talk to him when I'm lonesome and I'm sure he understands. I play with him when I’m happy and I feel he loves to see me always happy. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my
clothes, that’s the time I feel his genuine affections.

Since I had much time during my vacation, I get along with my Jefjef the best that I can. Of course, there’s my family who can assure me his comfort at home, (just like what they are doing to our 2-year old house-guard dog “Dambo” and to my brother’s shitsu pet “Specks” ) while I’m away and will be gone for quite a long time. Jefjef has been doing great lately.

Soon, he will be joined by another pup, and most likely his match, whom I will call “Basha”.

Actually, the great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too.

I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better.

They fight for honor at the first challenge… make love with no moral restraint… That’s how dogs differ from the human being.



Why jefjef?

He has no name yet when we got him. My family suggests to name him Pacquiao, Pacul, Nero, Spike, Dingdong, etc., but I decided to baptize him Jefjef, hoping that he will be like my 2 “Jeffrey” friends who are kind, nice and lovable.

We socialize him and keep him from getting territorial by bringing him in town whenever we’re out. We've been trying to take him everywhere we go so he can meet new people and get comfortable with strangers. We never let him stay in his cage. He's such a friendly dog!

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.

I missed my Jefjef… my pet….. my loyal and trusted friend ..